February 12, 2012

My Husband's Best Breastfeeding Advice


"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (February). For this month, we focus on back to basics. Participants will share advices - either the best breastfeeding advice they received OR/AND the best breastfeeding advice they can give to new moms.  Please scroll down to the end of the post to see the list of carnival entries."


In my 26 years of existence in the world, breastfeeding has been one of the things I am truly proud of. I called it as one of my lifetime achievements aside from giving birth and getting married.

When I gave birth, I never had breastfeeding as a choice of nourishment for my child. I never knew that I could breastfeed exclusively. It just happened and happening right now. As months go by, I discovered (through reading blogs, internet, and from other breastfeeding moms) the wonder and magic of breastfeeding. And so, here are my top 3 reasons why I breastfeed and will still breastfeed.

1) it's free and healthy (definitely, very and super!)

2) it's a perfect bonding experience between mother and child (very true!)
3) it's restful (I like most of the time when lying down while breastfeeding)

But in my 14 months (and counting) of exclusive breastfeeding, I encountered some problems from persons I thought are my support group, that merely put me in the thought of giving up and switch to giving formula instead.

Here are the things they say:

* "I never saw MKJ fat like other babies. I think your milk is not good enough, give him formula instead."

* "At six months, breast milk loses the nutrients suitable to child's growth, like iron. Breastmilk doesn't have that anymore as your baby grows older."
* "Maybe it's because of you're milk why your baby doesn't have regular bowel movements."
* "MKJ is already 1, give him formula from time to time for him to gain more weight."
* "Does your milk still have the nutrients your child need? I don't think so. Why did he get primary complex?"

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch for the nth time is all I can say every time they say those things. It feels like I haven't been a good mother to him because of their observations. There was a time that it came to a sudden thought of blaming breastfeeding when MKJ was diagnosed of Primary Complex. 


Thinking and hearing those hurtful things, I still live to the best advice why I keep on breastfeeding my son. If not for this worthy and supportive advice from my husband, my breastfeeding journey won't be great. 


Here's what my husband taught me to realize about my breastfeeding relationship with MKJ:




"You are still the mother. No matter how many times you hear those nasty things about breastfeeding our son, don't live with it. The last words will still come from yours. What am I here for? I am your husband, and I am here to support you in breastfeeding MKJ the best way I can."


Remembering those sweet words from him strengthens my heart that we are together in breastfeeding our son. I have the milky breasts and he has the heart for breastfeeding.


Have time to read the other participants' posts. Happy reading!

16 comments:

  1. Hooray for breastfeeding dads! We're in our 9th month and getting ready for all those breastfeeding myths and 'nasty comments' from others when Rio turns one. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you're only 26 and have already been breastfeeding for a year! Congratulations to you! That's an accomplishment in itself. Love that your husband is so supportive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet husband! That's right, YOU ARE THE MOMMY!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband is to be applauded! Very supportive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your sweet comments breastfeeding mommies. I'm happy to have a husband who's very supportive.
    Let's cheer ourselves for our breastfeeding success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thing your husband knows the right thing to say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very true, you are still the mother of your child and I have always believed in the saying that "Mother Knows Best" :)

    hurray to exclusive breastfeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oo nga noh, breastfeeding is an accomplishment! :-) And yay to your hubby! Mabuhay ang mga hands-on and supportive husbands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate hearing those same lines from other people who, for the most part, are not even Mothers themselves. Ano bang alam nila? Nothing. That's why they throw out such stupid questions and advices.

    It pays to be informed! Now let's all breastfeed. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this part of your post: "breastfeeding has been one of the things I am truly proud of. I called it as one of my lifetime achievements aside from giving birth and getting married."

    I feel the same way! :) And I love your husband's tip ha! Praise GOD for supportive hubbies! God bless always!

    P.S. What nursing "cover" are you using in the picture? Would love to get one for myself and my sister! Pls. leave a comment on my carnival entry here: http://www.trulyrichmom.com/2012/02/truly-rich-tips-esp-for-moms-my-top-5.html?showComment=1329241662119#c503766398682125831. :) Thanks! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. kudos to supportive husbands! and i agree with my mommyology's comment! i can't believe you're just 26 and committed to breastfeeding!! a lot of young moms just aren't as committed as you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just to detour a bit, I really think that's a cute nursing cover. Hehe. Where'd you get it, if you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder why they thought breastfeeding caused the primary complex.

    I applaud your husband for being supportive. I have one myself and proud of him too as he is with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ambquezada: thanks! we are indeed lucky wives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. legallymama: it's babybond nursing cover. You can check my post about it: http://startingattwentyfive.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-babybond-nursing-cover-experience.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all sweet and great comments. I salute all dads who are breastfeeding advocates! :))

    ReplyDelete